Primary Care Psychology, PLC provides teens, adults, and seniors psychological counseling, psychotherapy, and assessment for individuals, couples, and families. Our practice specializes in solution-focused psychotherapy that is brief, targeted, and highly effective. Dr. Cristiano employs an eclectic theoretical understanding of mental health that is derived from psychoanalysis, behaviorism, and cognitive therapies.
Dr. Cristiano is adept at working with clients/patients experiencing all levels of psychological pain. Dr. Cristiano helps his clients/patients achieve clarity; develop optimism; identify what is disturbing and hurting them and most importantly helps them define strategies for gaining a sense of control over their lives. Thankfully, society has become more sophisticated in its attitudes toward mental health and the old stigmas are no longer relevant. Nearly anyone can benefit from psychological treatments by gaining insight, control, power and fulfillment in their life.
There are times when it can seem very difficult to cope with life’s difficulties and stress. Such difficulties can include:
- Persistent feelings of dissatisfaction and lack of meaning in one’s life
- Relationship problems
- Sexual concerns
- Work problems
- Loneliness, moodiness
- Sadness, hopelessness, depression, feelings of failure, stress or anxiety
- Problems with anger
- Feeling out of control
- Feeling unappreciated, unimportant and under-valued.
In such circumstances, individual, couples or family sessions with Dr. Cristiano can help you regain control over your life and develop strategies to achieve lifelong solutions. Each session lasts approximately 45 minutes. Our professional offices provide for a comfortable, friendly environment to help overcome obstacles, confront destructive patterns, or simply implement beneficial change.
Counseling and Psychotherapy
Counseling and psychotherapy are very similar mental health treatments. Counseling tends to focus on the ‘here and now’, the problems at hand. Psychotherapy tends to examine a client’s past in relation to current problems. Psychotherapy is more in-depth and requires a scientific understanding of human nature and psychological dysfunction. A Clinical Psychologist is the most highly trained and credentialed psychotherapist, practicing from a non-medicinal approach to mental health. Psychologists are the only practitioners who are licensed to practice psychology. Although psychologists are trained in pharmacotherapy, they exclusively employ cognitive, behavioral and emotional treatments in their psychological practices. A psychotherapist is not a licensable profession. Florida and most other states do not issue licenses in psychotherapy. In essence, there is no such thing as a ‘licensed psychotherapist’, although many people use this term in their self-promotion. These individuals are usually licensed social workers, licensed counselors or licensed marriage and family therapists. They are not licensed to practice psychology.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- How can psychological counseling and therapy help me?
A problem shared is indeed a problem halved. A Psychologist is trained to listen effectively and help you find a way forward through your problems. You may not be aware of patterns or triggers, or links to your past, because you are so integrally involved in your problems. A Psychologist is outside the situation and remains objective. Often, just talking with a Psychologist about your problems can help release pent-up feelings and reduce your anxiety.
- How long does treatment take?Most people feel relief after one initial consultation. The duration of treatment is dependent upon a number of factors such as client/patient motivation, duration of symptoms and the nature of the psychological issue(s) at hand. Nevertheless, most clients attend 8 to 12 sessions. At that point most clients feel as if their symptoms are under control and they can take what they’ve learned and apply it to their daily living. Thereafter, many clients return for follow-up visits on an “as needed basis” as issues arise in their lives.
- How long do sessions last?A session lasts 45 minutes. Typically, sessions occur weekly. However, some clients/patients find it more helpful to begin treatment twice a week (when their symptoms are the most severe) and eventually they transition into a weekly schedule. Clients/Patients with less severe but more chronic conditions, typically start with weekly treatment and transition into a bi-weekly schedule according to their needs. Frequency varies case by case and is ultimately decided by the client/patient.
- How much does it cost?Dr. Cristiano participates with several insurance plans including Medicare. A sliding-scale fee schedule is available for those individuals without applicable health insurance. This sliding-scale fee schedule is affordable and well below the standard fees charged to insurance plans.
Make that first step toward a happier life.
You deserve no less.
We care about all of our patients and the challenges they face in their daily lives. If you need to work through a challenge or problem immediately, we are here for you! We offer emergency appointments for all current patients to ensure their continued progress towards optimal well-being.
We discuss the latest emerging technology and techniques as well as helpful information on facing your daily challenges in our Blog. Visit it today and discover ways to help you manage the daily stressors and keep you on the road to positive thinking and a fulfilling life!