Substance abuse affects not only the user, but also all people associated with the user. Substance dependence is insidious – it sneaks up on you and before you know it you find yourself in a very dangerous place. Many people learn at an early age that alcohol or other substances are acceptable coping mechanisms. They eventually learn that the harmful effects far outweigh any perceived benefits. In a sense, there is no such thing as a substance abuse problem. Rather, substance abuse is not “the problem” but a symptom of an often-unrealized problem.
That unrealized problem is likely being avoided, soothed or numbed for a brief period of time by alcohol or substance use. The emotional aspects of substance abuse are just as important, if not more important, than the behavioral aspects. It is necessary to determine your reason or reasons for using and face them head on.
Individual psychological counseling is very effective at addressing substance abuse symptoms. Did you know that most people who seek help with their addictions issues attend individual treatment, rather than group treatment. However, adjunctive treatment in a short-term or long-term group program is also often warranted.
Targeted and solution-focused psychological attention can provide you with relief, direction and hope for sobriety. Dr. Cristiano is well trained and experienced in treating all of the emotional, cognitive and behavioral aspects of addiction. He can help you find your answers, guide you toward your goals and assist you in regaining control of your life. But you must reach out to us first, so that we can start to help you help yourself. We encourage you to schedule your initial one-on-one consultation now. The longer you wait, the longer you will delay feeling better.
Ask yourself the following questions…
- Do you continue to drink alcohol or use drugs despite the negative consequences that continue to occur as a result?
- Do you feel as if your life is out of control due to your drinking or drug use?
- Does your personality change when you drink alcohol?
- Have you ever felt you should cut down on your drinking?
- Have people annoyed you by criticizing your drinking?
- Have you ever felt bad or guilty about your drinking?
- Have you ever had a drink first thing in the morning to steady nerves or get rid of a hangover?
- Have you ever missed work or school because of your drinking or drug use?
- Is it difficult for you to control your drinking or drug use? Are you trying to avoid something unpleasant (e.g. pain, discomfort or anxiety) when you drink or use drugs?
If you answered YES to one or more of these questions, you may have an addiction problem that requires professional attention. We encourage you to contact Dr. Cristiano for further assistance. He can help.
Make that first step to improve your life.
You deserve no less.
We care about all of our patients and the challenges they face in their daily lives. If you need to work through a challenge or problem immediately, we are here for you! We offer emergency appointments for all current patients to ensure their continued progress towards optimal well-being.
We discuss the latest emerging technology and techniques as well as helpful information on facing your daily challenges in our Blog. Visit it today and discover ways to help you manage the daily stressors and keep you on the road to positive thinking and a fulfilling life!